Educational scholarships are designed to assist eligible students aged 15 years and over to reach their full potential in terms of their individual educational and career goals. They are granted to students who demonstrate the drive and determination to achieve educational goals, despite experiencing financial need. Educational scholarships are not necessarily awarded because of academic achievement to date, but rather because of a student’s demonstrated desire to achieve educational goals.
Applications for the 2021 MSN Educational Scholarships open on 20 July 2020.
MSN is pleased to announce that despite the COVID-19 situation scholarships to assist students in financial need will be available for the next school year.
Key Dates are:
- 20 July 2020 (start of Term 3) – Applications for Scholarships open
- 23 October 2020 – Applications Close
- 26 – 28 October 2020 – Short-listed students will be interviewed
- 24 November 2020 – Successful students, will be notified, and will be required to attend an Information Session, luncheon, and Presentation Event. (Note: This is a change from previous years with the two sessions being held on the one day and the presentation being brought forward to November.)
Important things to note:
- Students who apply must be nominated by individuals or organisations (schools etc.) that are members of MSN
- Detailed information is available in the Guidelines for Nominators and Guidelines for Students.
Please download and read carefully.
- Due to the increasing numbers of applications preference will be given to students entering Year 11 in 2021. We believe this maximises the benefit of the scholarship.
- Application Forms are available in both word format and pdf format. Download the one you prefer to work with and complete and return to MSN.
- You may also request that Application Forms be email to you by contacting MSN.
If you have any queries regarding this year’s application process please contact Mrs Jane Kift, Chair of the MSN Scholarship Committee on 0418 431 646 or email email@example.com
Information for recipients of a 2020 scholarship
All students receiving a scholarship during 2020 have now been notified. The following documents will assist all recipients in making claims for the payment of their award:
The following document may also be useful:
- Centrelink's ruling on scholarships
- The agreement each student signs with MSN
- Parent/guardian consent form for use of photos etc.
More about the program.
The educational scholarships program has been in operation since the first awards for studies in 2008. Since then students in the Hunter and surrounding
regions including Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Maitland, Port Stephens, Upper Hunter, Cessnock, Dungog and Muswellbrook, have been supported.
Educational scholarships are offered for one year and valued at up to $3000. All payments to the student are made on submission of receipts or invoices.
Applicants are selected for interviews in October/November with all candidates notified of the outcome before the end of the month.
“All I can think of is: I’ve made it. And it was all because of the support I had from my school, teachers, my family and friends and of course the Mentor Support Network. Sometimes all we need is that extra bit of help to keep us going.” Arlene.
During the period of the award, we maintain regular contact with all scholarship recipients, monitoring their progress to ensure all is going well with their studies and providing encouragement. This involves visiting students at their place of learning, regularly assessing their their progress and, where necessary and appropriate, consulting with their teachers.